Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Weekend With... Ys

Time to try something new. Joanna Newsom and her Ys. Basically it's all about her voice, the lyrics, perhaps better to say stories, and the harp with backing orchestral arrangements. Her voice is sort of recalling Björk (though that impression wasn't so strong as when I heard Gollum's Song by Emiliana Torrini during The Two Towers final credits).

I see the blossoms broke and wet after the rain
Little sister, he will be back again
I have washed a thousand spiders down the drain
Spiders ghosts hang soaked and dangelin'
Silently from all the blooming cherry trees
In tiny nooses, safe from everyone
- nothing but a nuisance; gone now, dead and done
Be a woman, be a woman!

She asked me for the attention. I cannot just sat back and ignore her as she's offering two simple options -- join her or let her walk away. One of best moments: two vocals at the end of Only Skin.

Recommended for night listeners...

k.

No comments: