Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Got a Stamp

A stamp? Are you asking what for? It's easy, you can't have a bank account here without a stamp which works as your personal signature. Which is kind of nice. Slowly but surely I'm loosing my good penmanship and everytime when they are asking me in the bank to write my proper signature I'm nervous. Well, that's how guys using computer a lot ends :-) Regarding the characters on it -- my Chinese name -- 凱 洛, Kai3 Luo4. Obviously, it suppose to sounds similar to my first name. The characters on the stamp are in the opposite order, Chinese are writing the surname first. 凱 stands for 'triumphant; victorious'. One can find this character in the name of "the Arc of Triumph" in Paris for instance. 洛 is a surname and it's also the name of river. Rosita already explained me the meanings in May, thank you! She also did perfect drawing with decomposition of these characters (see another picture). Very nice of her, you can see the different parts actually making the whole character. She did similar job with the 'Samurai' character back in Oulu times (we saw that character in the movie The Last Samurai and I was curious about that). I really like this whole thing about the meaning of each parts. It's interesting and helping to memorize the strokes for writing. And on top of it, it is fun.

In case you're wondering why you can't see the characters among the ones from the pictures, you just haven't installed the support for Chinese characters in your system.

No comments: